Monday, November 5, 2012

Converting a Chinese laser cutter to work on Mach3


I recently decided to purchase an inexpensive laser cutter from Ebay (Here). Once I got it, I quickly realized that I would be VERY limited in what I could cut. I set out to get the laser cutter to work with some more standard software. After some web searches I found that the tutorials all involved some modification to cabling or some other strange work around. I decided I wanted to design and build a drop in replacement that would work with Mach3 or LinuxCNC (EMC). Here is my first motion test of the prototype.


I have started the process to manufacturer a PCB. If there is enough interest I may put together a Kickstarter to get a large batch of these done and bring down the cost. I plan to run some cutting tests tonight check back to see the results. 

UPDATE: I decided that for now, I will just sell a few fully assembled boards a see how that goes. Boards can be bought here.


13 comments:

  1. Nice job getting something to work with Mach3, have you tried it with EMC? I would probably be interested in a PCB when you get it done. I haven't bought a laser cutter yet, but this makes it much more appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm really happy with how it is turning out. I haven't tried it on EMC yet but it should be compatible. It uses an identical parallel port pinout as many of the breakout boards made by probotix and others. I'll keep updating as the project progresses.

      Delete
  2. What is the kerf (material vaporized) when using these Chinese cutters? Gives me an idea of how small of items can be cut. Like clock gears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will measure some of the pieces I've cut out of acrylic tonight when I get home.

      Delete
    2. I just cut some .18" thick material and measured a kerf of 4 mil (.004").

      Delete
    3. 0.004" = 4 thousandths where in typical machining shop lingo 0.001 is a "thou"

      Delete
    4. Way smaller than I imagined. I would have thought a least a full mm of kerf. Oh the gears are spinning in my head with the things I could do! Thanks!

      Delete
    5. In standard Electrical Engineer lingo (which Chris is) a "thou" is called a "mil", so technically you are both right.

      Delete
  3. Moar! I see that the boards are sold out. I'd buy at least one from you. Can you make more please??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to start a pre-order now for the next batch.

      Delete
  4. I plan to run some cutting tests tonight check back to see the results.
    CNC Router Parts

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post. Glad to find your blog. Thanks for sharing.

    non woven bags machine

    ReplyDelete
  6. very nice thank you, is there a way to add control of the laser power as well?

    ReplyDelete